From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Danna Baggett
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:55 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: operating online tutoring through the use of college's own tutors

Good afternoon!

I have been tasked with finding out about other colleges' online tutoring programs.  I have found that most colleges use an outside source such as Smarthinking and Brainfuse instead of their own tutors.  We are leaning more towards using our own tutors instead of other company's tutors.  I have several questions, and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

*         Do any of you use your own tutors to do your college's online tutoring?  If so, how have you structured your program?

*         Do you have a special lab for the tutors to conduct the online sessions?

*         Do you allow them to tutor while they are at home or do they have to be on campus during operating hours?  If allowed to tutor at home, did you issue the tutor a laptop and webcam, if they did not have their own?  Did your college provide tech support for the tutor's personal computer if it stopped working properly?

*         Do you have "drop in" tutoring by having virtual walk-in hours where the tutor waits for someone to ask a question online?

*         Is it made available 24/7?  Basically, if a tutor says they can be available at midnight, do you allow that?

*         Did you hire student tutors or "professional" (with at least a Bachelor's degree) tutors?

I am sure I am leaving out some other important questions. So, if there is any other important details that you think would be beneficial, please include them since you have gone through this process.

As always,  thank you very much!

Danna Baggett
Apache Tutoring
Tutoring Services, Director