Thank you to all of those who replied to my request. These will come in very handy.
I have assembled the responses below so the entire list may have access.
Best,
Nic

Metacognition Resources from Lrnasst

Kolencik & Hillwig (2011). Encouraging Metacognition: Supporting Learners through Metacognitive Teaching Strategies.
Brown, Roediger, & McDaniel (2014). Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning.
Nilson (2013). Creating Self-Regulated Learners: Strategies to Strengthen Students' Self-Awareness and Learning Skills.
Tate (2012). "Sit and Get" Won't Grow Dendrites: 20 Professional Learning Strategies That Engage the Adult Brain.
The Thought-Filled Curriculum" by Arthur L. Costa, found
in Educational Leadership, Volume 65, Number 5, pages 20-24

Original Minds_  (by Bullfrog films and Tom Weidlinger)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPa05qQyeIU

Cook, E., Kennedy, E., and McGuire, S. Y. (2013). Effect of teaching metacognitive learning strategies on performance in general chemistry     courses. Journal of Chemical Education, 90, 961-967.

Assessing Student Learning Outcomes using Metacognitive Rubrics and General Tutoring SLO Measurement document and is at the following link: http://www.lsche.net/?page_id=675.
For those who began looking starting at LSCHE Resources, can find it via the following path:

  -> Learners & Learner Assessments
      -> Learner Assessment Instruments

         -> Study Skills Surveys

==> Assessing SLOs using Metacognitive Rubrics and Gen. Tutoring SLO Meas. Document

I think part of the problem is that the studies tend to focus on different aspects of metacognition and study them independently.  I have found that often the context is important as well (i.e. it may be different for teaching non native speakers English than it is for teaching science or online vs face to face). I find that self regulated learning encompasses a lot of what your post was asking about, so I have those types of articles mixed in here.  I tried to primarily include undergraduate research, but not all of the articles do so.

Basic Theoretical Background:
         Zimmerman, B. J. (1989). A social cognitive view of self-regulated academic learning. Journal of Educational   Psychology, 81(3), 329-339.

         Zimmerman, B. J. (1990). Self-regulated learning and academic achievement: An overview. Educational psychologist,          25(1), 3-17.

         Pintrich, P. R., & De Groot, E. V. (1990). Motivational and self-regulated learning components of classroom academic          performance. Journal of educational psychology, 82(1), 33. (Self efficacy as a facilitator of cognitive strategy use; self
         regulation best predictor of academic performance).

         Winne, P. H., & Hadwin, A. F. (1997). Studying as self-regulated learing. In D. J. Hacker, J. Dunlosky & A. C. Graeser          (Eds.), Metacognition in educational theory and practice (pp. 279-306). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbuam.

         Schunk, D. H. (2008). Metacognition, Self-Regulation, and Self-Regulated Learning: Research Recommendations.      Educational Psychology Review, 20(4), 463-467.

         Sitzmann, T., & Ely, K. (2011). A meta-analysis of self-regulated learning in work-related training and educational     attainment: what we know and where we need to go. Psychological bulletin, 137(3), 421 - a nice overview of the    constructs within SRL from a work/learn environment

More applied/practical
         Ningfeng, Z., Wardeska, J. G., McGuire, S. Y., & Cook, E. (2014). Metacognition: An Effective Tool to Promote Success    in College Science Learning. Journal Of College Science Teaching, 43(4), 48-54.

         Artino, A. (2008). Practical guidelines for online instructors. TechTrends, 52(3), 37-45.

         Ley, K., & Young, D. B. (2001). Instructional principles for self-regulation. Educational Technology Research and          Development, 49(2), 93-103.

         Reid, A. J., & Morrison, G. (2014). Generative learning strategy use and self-regulatory prompting in digital
         text. Journal of Information Technology Education: Research, 13, 49-72

         Roll, I., Aleven, V., McLaren, B. M., & Koedinger, K. R. (2007). Designing for metacognition-applying cognitive tutor          principles to the tutoring of help seeking. Metacognition & Learning, 2(2/3), 125-140. doi:10.1007/si1409-007-9010-0           (Aleven and this group have been working towards developing an automated tutor which can improve metacognition          specifically around the concept of help-seeking (which includes self comprehension/monitoring, adapting strategies   etc).  Their articles tend to have some technical stuff about building the tutor, but LOTs of great stuff about     metacognition.).

         Lee, H. W., Lim, K. Y., & Grabowski, B. L. (2010). Improving self-regulation, learning strategy use, and achievement          with metacognitive feedback. Educational Technology Research and Development, 58(6), 629-648.

         Dhieb-Henia, N. (2003). Evaluating the effectiveness of metacognitive strategy training for reading research articles in        an ESP context. English for Specific Purposes, 22(4), 387-417.

         Ching, L. C. (2002). Strategy and self-regulation instruction as contributors to improving students' cognitive model in    an ESL program. English for Specific Purposes, 21(3), 261-289.

Effect of Teaching Metacognitive Learning Strategies on Performance in General Chemistry Courses
AccessDenialMessagePlaceholder
Elzbieta Cook<http://pubs.acs.org/action/doSearch?ContribStored=Cook%2C+E> *†, Eugene Kennedy<http://pubs.acs.org/action/doSearch?ContribStored=Kennedy%2C+E> ‡, and Saundra Y. McGuire<http://pubs.acs.org/action/doSearch?ContribStored=McGuire%2C+S+Y> †

Metacognition: An Effective Tool to Promote Success in College Science Learning
AUTHOR(S)Ningfeng Zhao; Wardeska, Jefrey G.; McGuire, Saundra Y.; Cook, Elzbieta
PUB. DATESJournal of College Science Teaching;Mar/Apr2014, Vol. 43 Issue 4, p48

Dominic (Nic) J. Voge  ||  Associate Director
Undergraduate Learning Program
McGraw Center for Teaching & Learning ||  Princeton University
328 Frist Center
(609)258-6921  || http://www.princeton.edu/mcgraw/us/

[cid:D072E8FB-FABF-41FF-85E0-BE1543F31CA4]