Hello Danna,
If we get a call from someone in the community regarding outside tutoring (typically for a local high school student), we will have a conversation with the caller. If they appear to be legitimate we ask for the details in an email and then send the email out to our own tutors. (If they will not send us their name , address and other information, we do not proceed).
We encourage the tutor to respond directly to the person if they are interested, to negotiate their own fee and to tutor in a public location such as the town library. We do not get involved in the process at all and do not provide outside folks with our tutor contact information. We are located in a small suburban town, with a very low crime rate (that is not to say that bad things can't happen in "good" places, but that is why we encourage tutoring in a populated, public location.)
Many of our students college-wide, are also recruited as babysitters and nannies for local families and the college has a long history of strong "town/gown" relationships.
Best,Roberta

Roberta Schotka, Director of Programs, PLTC
Wellesley College
ITTPC Coordinator
CRLA Northeast President
[log in to unmask]‚Äč