We provide support to our Athletics department in a variety of ways.  They are not particularly programs, but more of agreements between the athletic team and our Student Success Centre.

Football - the team has mandatory study hall coordinated by the Coaching staff and a Academic
  Advisor hired by the team to ensure their players are meeting academic expectations in their
  programs.  The Student Success Centre presents between 3-4 workshops during the semester
  at a study hall session.  Topics have included: time management, note taking, writing tests, and
  study skills.

Men's Hockey Team - we have facilitated workshops for 1st year players and players who have
  lower academic averages.  These workshops focus on transition to university, time management,
  and note taking/reading effectively.  We travel to the rink and present the session out of a
  room at the arena either prior to or post practice - the coach often attends these sessions
  along with the players.

  In addition, the coach submits a list of players he feels are at academic risk at the start of each
  semester.  We then contact those players and they are required by the team to attend an
  individual learning support advising session.  Some players attend once, but many of them
  have worked with a learning support advisor on a bi-weekly basis for several weeks or
  throughout the semester, depending on their needs.

Women's Hockey Team - We have offered workshops several times to this team at the invitation of the coach, particularly in years where there are a higher number of rookie players on the team.

Track & Field - The coach arranges a workshop for all 1st year athletes each Fall semester to discuss
  transitional strategies for succeeding at university.

Wrestling Teams - had the most intensive programming relationship to date (this past year).  They
  worked with our office to hire a tutor who was responsible for monitoring a weekly mandatory
  2 hour study hall for all athletes on the team.  Students were required to attend and work on
  course-related assignments, study, review and the tutor would provide support as needed.

We are also invited to participate in the mandatory Orientation for athletes that takes place each September.  We are given a 15-20 minute window in which we provide the athletes with an introduction and overview of the various student supports available to them, along with some strategies for balancing their academic and athletic commitments successfully.

Raeanne

**************************
Raeanne Skihar
Student Success Advisor
Student Success Centre
University of Regina
(306) 585-4760 (Tel)
(306) 585-4056 (Fax)
**************************
>>> "Wolfe, Angela C" <[log in to unmask]> 4/24/2015 2:35 PM >>>
Hi, All.
Do any of you have a plan in place that collaborates with your athletic department to provide tutor monitored study hours for various athletic teams?  I would appreciate any information you might have.
Thanks so much!

Angie
Angie Wolfe, Coordinator
Academic Coaching & Tutoring Center
University of Pittsburgh at Bradford
814.362.7674

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Confidential University of Pittsburgh information. Any unauthorized or improper disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this e-mail or attached documents is prohibited. The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.