From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Stephen Ewen
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Are E-Books better than printed books?

Ebooks for academic work are BY FAR superior to printed texts IF the text is open and accessible; can be marked up, manipulated, remixed, condensed, summarized, etc., without having to type but copy and paste. I'm thinking especially of textbooks with this assertion. With printed text, one's markups serve as comprehension constructors. When the text is as manipulable as it can be an an open e-text format, that's all the more so, in my experience. Toward that end, folks like Flatworld Knowledge have a great idea. We just need more academic institutions to think longer term and get off the corporate publisher gravy train and start investing in having their faculty write more open textbooks.

Stephen Ewen
UberStudent Linux