I've seen lots of folks have chimed in on whether this is even doable. That is good advice: isolating the experience is something very hard to do in measuring retention.

That said, I think you might look at correlation between number of visits and retention. The more a person experiences something couldn't we believe that the likelihood of influence on retention increases? So, I wouldn't hang my hat on tutoring influencing a student after one time but maybe that after a number of times?

You can also use language to explain that you're not claiming Tutoring was the factor but that Tutoring could have been a factor. Something along the lines of "XXXX students used tutoring services in Fall 2014: of those students, XX% returned in Spring 2015. This in mind, tutoring may be a factor in students' decision to re-enroll".

No way to say that you're the reason, but you can craft the message to explain that students who use the services happen to be retained higher.

I imagine you could also look at users academic performance and see if the correlation between tutoring and academic performance also say an increase in retention.

You could also look at students dispositions toward academic performance and retention coming in. Your institution might provide an predicted GPA (not sure on terminology) based on their high school performance and ACT. Do students who use Tutoring services have higher GPAs than their predicted GPA? At what point?

Key is that sometimes outstanding students use tutoring to do better and sometimes poorly prepared or less academically inclined students use it to do better.

Dan

Daniel A. Bureau, PhD.
Director, Student Affairs Learning and Assessment and Commencement Office | Special Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs
        The University of Memphis
101 Brister Hall
Memphis, TN 38152

901.678.5547 | ‚Äč[log in to unmask]