Rachel,

As Dr. Seuss once said, "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."

It is impossible to discern the effect tutoring has on retention.

Impossible.

I don't care who says otherwise, there are just too many factors involved in whether students stay or not.

That said, we do what we can to help our administrators and others see our relevance.  Attached you will find my feeble efforts toward this goal.

It is just a straightforward correlation of retention figures for first-year full-time students who were tutored versus retention for those not tutored.    Because Kentucky is a state under 1960s court mandate to improve higher education access for minorities, I also included the correlation for under-represented minority students.

I am currently working on a multi-year analysis of just straightforward correlation for 2011-2013 FYFT cohorts. I hope I can send that to anyone interested later this summer.

When I presented the attached to administrators, I pointed out the weaknesses of such a study.  One administrator told me that I under-sold our effectiveness.  So much for being honest about research, but they were still impressed.

The charts were better for most administrative-types to grasp "effectiveness".  If anyone has any great ideas on how to present such material visually, let me know.

If you have any questions about any of this, let me know.

Alvin

Gentry Alvin Madden-Grider
Learning Strategies Coordinator
University College
606-783-5181
Allie Young 215

"Those who do not study are only cattle dressed up in men's clothes." -- Confucius (551-479 BC)

This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information that is legally privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately.