Old, but might be of interest....

http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/faculty/rrice/a65.htm

A65. Rice, R.E., Collins-Jarvis, L. & Zydney-Walker, S. (1999).
Individual and structural influences on information technology helping
relationships. Journal of Applied Communication Research, 27(4),
285-303.

Getting help in understanding how to use and interpret a new
information system is a crucial organizational and individual
resource. Indeed, both informal and formal sources of information
technology help are expensive and necessary, but largely unidentified,
unmanaged, and underresearched. This study proposes that two types of
factors influence the formation of information technology helping
relationships: individual and structural. Based on a survey of
employees in an organization implementing a new workstation-based
customer database system, the study compares influences on being
sought as an informal source of IT help, and on types of help
(individual or positional) that one seeks. One individual factor (some
forms of computer expertise) and most structural factors (especially
measures of employees? perceived socialization, task interdependence,
and communication networks) exerted weak but significant influences on
employees? IT helping relationships.

[Click here for PDF copy of publication]
--
Ronald E. Rice
Department Chair