I'm sure this is unforgivable, but I feel compelled to add my own recent
book to this list, Between Monopoly and Free Trade.

http://www.amazon.com/Between-Monopoly-Free-Trade-Analytical/dp/0691159068/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431631736&sr=8-1&keywords=between+monopoly+and+free+trade

It is about the use of peer networks in the English East India Company
-- i.e.  early international trade.

Also Henning Hillmann and Brandy Aven on Russian entrepreneurs, early
20th century.

James Rauch on networks and international trade more generally.

A few more, although this is far from exhaustive:
Bishnupriya Gupta “Discrimination or Social Networks? Industrial
Investment in Colonial India” Journal of Economic Hiostry 74 (10) 2014.

Trapido, Denis. 2013. “Counterbalances to Economic Homophily: Microlevel
Mechanisms in a Historical Setting.” /American Journal of Sociology/
119(2):444–85.

Doosselaere, Quentin van. 2009. /Commercial Agreements and Social
Dynamics in Medieval Genoa/. Cambridge University Press.

Leunig, Tim, Chris Minns, and Patrick Wallis. 2011. “Networks in the
Premodern Economy: The Market for London Apprenticeships, 1600–1749.”
/The Journal of Economic History/ 71(02):413–43.

On 5/14/15 3:10 PM, Elliott, David L (MU-Student) wrote:
> Hi Arun and Luca,
>
> Much of the most important social network theory and empirical studies
> on business organizations and on industries and markets have been
> historical studies, including the work of John Padgett and colleagues,
> including Paul McLean, Christopher Ansell, and William Powell.  See
> Padget and Powell (2012):
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Emergence-Organizations-Markets-John-Padgett/dp/0691148872/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431624018&sr=1-1
>
> Also see Katherine Stovel's work, like Stovel and Savage (2006) and
> Fountain and Stovel (2014) for a study of contemporary business.
>
> I also recommend David Stark's work, including his book /The Sense of
> Dissonance/(2009) and his articles with Balazs Vedres.
>
> Good literature reviews for more contemporary network studies of
> businesses and markets can be found in Chapter 4 of Carruthers and
> Babb (2012):
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Economy-Society-Meanings-Structure-Sociology/dp/1412994969/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431624728&sr=1-1
>
> in Kadushin (2011):
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Social-Networks-Theories-Concepts/dp/0195379470/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1431624874&sr=1-1
>
> and in methods texts like Wasserman and Faust (1994) and De Nooy,
> Mrvar, and Batagelj (2011).
>
> You mention Ronald Burt, but other key network researchers of
> contemporary organizations and markets include Brian Uzzi, Wayne
> Baker, Mark Granovetter, Yanjie Bian (1997), and Martin Ruef.  Robert
> Faulkner's (1983) /Music on Demand:  Composers and Careers in the
> Hollywood Film Industry/ is a classic social network study of the
> conditions of freelance employment, which is relevant to many fields
> today.
>
> The business literature includes lots of network studies of social
> capital in organizations for which Ronald Burt and Nan Lin can be guides.
>
> Although not a network scholar per se, relational sociologist Andrew
> Abbott is a fellow traveler whose work remains important, especially
> /The System of Professions/ (1988) and "Linked Ecologies" (2005).
>
> In terms of government, consider David Knoke on political and policy
> networks and William Domhoff's (1990) /The Power Elite and the State:
>  How Policy is Made in America/. for whom social network theories and
> methods are important.
>
> This is still a partial list, of course, and goes beyond your specific
> request.
>
> Best,
>
> David​​

Now Available: Between Monopoly and Free Trade: The English East India Company, 1600-1757
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/10262.html

Emily Erikson
Assistant Professor
Yale Sociology & SOM