Dear SOCNETters,

as part of my PhD dissertation project, I am designing a full-network study
of a group of coworkers who exchange multiple resources. The aim would be
to provide an empirical test in a natural setting of two competing theories
of the emergence of solidarity among strangers: the Affect Theory of
Solidarity (works by Lawler, Yoon and Thye) and the Reciprocity Theory of
Solidarity (works by Molm, Collett and Schaefer). I am turning to you as
I’m experiencing some difficulties in the operationalization of solidary
behaviour in dyadic terms. I haven’t found any empirical work which
directly measures the behavioural dimension of social solidarity through
network data. So far, I have decided to:

   1. Measure “solidary behaviour” in terms of “helping behaviour” in
   situations of need, which is one of the behavioural dimensions suggested by
   Lindenberg in his chapter in Fararo & Doreian (eds.), “The Problems of
   Solidarity” (1998).
   2. Do this through 3-4 name-generators which identify coworkers to whom
   the respondent would turn to in the event of situations of need for
   instrumental and emotional support.

I still have doubts on the validity of expectations of help/support to
measure the behavioural dimension of social solidarity. Moreover, I would
very much profit from suggestions on accurate name-generators: is an
indirect measurement of Alter's behaviour (expectation of being helped)
better of collecting data on actual events of getting help/support from
Alter in the past?

I wonder if there’s some past work which could be pointed to me, both
theoretical and (more importantly) on measurement.

Thanks in advance for your help,

I am looking forward to your replies.

Federico Bianchi

PhD Candidate, Economic Sociology and Labour Studies
Department of Economics and Management,
University of Brescia.
GECS - Research Group on Experimental and Computational Sociology
NASP - Network for the Advancement of Social and Political Studies
Via San Faustino, 74/B - 25122 Brescia (Italy)
https://unibs.academia.edu/FedericoBianchi
<https://unimi.academia.edu/FedericoBianchi>
+39 333 4977852
skype: federicobianchi87