Ebrahim,

"Ring Vaccination" has been the strategy since the push to eradicate
smallpox in the 1950s.

There is a rich and fascinating literature on modeling vaccination
strategies.  Most of this work was, and continues to be, done by folks
trained in mathematical epi, ecology and evolutionary biology.

With the new developments in network modeling and simulation, there is now
a potential to develop methods for network epidemiology -- it would be
great to have more social network analysts involved in this area.

Those of you coming to Brighton for Sunbelt -- Sam Jenness is teaching a
workshop on "EpiModel", a package with utilities for statistical network
estimation, dynamic network simulations, and transmission of infection
across networks.  They are a pretty neat set of tools, all publicly
available.

best, Martina

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Ebrahim Patel wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have recently come across an interesting story about the polio vaccination in Pakistan.  In recent years, the number of wild poliovirus cases has shot up in the country.  A big issue is the vaccination programme, which is not particularly welcomed in some regions due to extreme religious and dogmatic views and suspicion of an American 'conspiracy' behind the shots.  So those courageous workers that try to convince households to be vaccinated find their work to be unnecessarily difficult and even life-threatening.  Even when they are successful in vaccinating, records are not well kept (for follow-up shots) and it also leaves a large batch of others that aren't vaccinated, and so the high likelihood of spreading persists.  The following article gives more information on this:
> http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/apr/16/suspicion-slows-dangerous-work-to-eradicate-polio-in-pakistan
>
> I'm emailing this group as my first thought was that there must be a network theoretic angle from which this problem could be approached - vaccinating the 'hubs' in the network, for example; or convincing the religious leaders (a type of hub) to vaccinate themselves, thereby influencing those around them to adopt.  Any ideas or references would be much appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
> Ebrahim
>
> -----------------------------------
> Dr Ebrahim Patel
> Postdoctoral Research Assistant
> Mathematical Institute
> University of Oxford
> Andrew Wiles Building, Radcliffe Observatory Quarter
> Woodstock Road, Oxford OX2 6GG
> Phone: +44(0)1865 611511
> Webpage: https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/people/ebrahim.patel
> Blog: http://ebrahimlpatel.wordpress.com/

  Professor of Sociology and Statistics
  Director, UWCFAR Sociobehavioral and Prevention Research Core
  Box 354322
  University of Washington
  Seattle, WA 98195-4322

  Office:        (206) 685-3402