Indeed, following up on Jessica: Burt's concept of redundancy is a key
mechanism for disengagement from a local network cluster and for the
establishment of new ties to other network clusters.

Burt -- Structural Holes

Myself and others have studied long-term network dynamics resulting from
such actions:

Ryall & Sorenson (2007) in Management Science
Buskens & van de Rijt (2008) in American Journal of Sociology
Reagans & Zuckerman (2008) in Industrial & Corporate Change
Kleinberg, Suri, Tardos & Wexler (2008) in ACM Proc EC08

And, again following Jessica, another mechanism is balance, namely if a
cluster contains imbalances, severing some ties is a balancing strategy.

Heider 1946, 1958
Cartwright & Harary 1956

Again, several studies have investigated the long-term network dynamics of
balance:

Hummon & Doreian (2003) Social Networks
Antal et al (2005) in Phys Review E
Kulakowsky et a. (2005) in Int Journ Mod Phys C
Ludwig & Abell (2009) Journal of Math Soc
Marvel et al. (2009) Phys Rev Letters
Montgomery (2009) Journ of Math Soc
Leskovec et al (2010) CHI2010
Szell et al. (2010) PNAS