Dear Jordi,

It is not the same. E-net was developed by Steve Borgatti and others for analyzing ego-networks. If I am not mistaken, you can download it for free at: https://sites.google.com/site/enetsoftware1/

There are currently two versions of Egonet, which have the same origin. One is a Java-based program that is available for free on Sourceforge (that´s the one you found), which is developed by Chris McCarty et al. It is designed for collecting personal network data and instantaneously after collection it allows you to analyze and visualize a network - which is useful if you want to ask respondents questions to validate or interpret the network http://sourceforge.net/projects/egonet/ . It also has some options for creating whole networks from a set of (related) personal networks, and for longitudinal analysis. While I am at it, let me also mention that Jürgen Lerner wrote a program that transforms egonet interviews (from this egonet) to graphml files, which also allows you to do clustered graph analysis in visone http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/algo/software/egonet2graphml/.

There is also a non-free version of Egonet developed by MDLogix (Eric Jones et al.) that is designed in a quite similar way: http://www.mdlogix.com/solutions/social-networks . This version currently has a more sophisticated visualization module and greater flexibility in questionnaire design. I think it has a free trial version.

And then let me also mention Vennmaker, which is also developed for the collection of personal network data, and visualization/analysis of a network at http://www.vennmaker.com/. This program is developed by Michael Schönhuth and colleagues and it allows you to interview respondents using a structured personal network questionnaire, but in addition it can be used for more interactive, participatory network drawings (or mixes of structured and interactive interviewing). The program is not for free, but if you would like to give it a try, there is a free trial version that can be downloaded from their website.

And then we sometimes run into new software that are also called egonet (an R package for example, see http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/egonet/). Also, new software is currently being developed, such as other (visually very pleasing) software for CAPI data collection and Apps.

So far...

Best wishes,

Miranda

Ramon y Cajal Researcher
Director of the Laboratory of Personal Networks and Communities
Department of Social and Cultural Anthropology
Autonomous University of Barcelona
Edifici B- Facultat de Lletres. Office B9-229
08193-Bellaterra
Tf.: + 34 93 581 12 39
Fax: + 34 93 586 83 23
http://grupsderecerca.uab.cat/egolab/