Hi Paul,

Two of the most inspiring articles for my work on that topic have been:

   - Javier Borge-Holthoefer, Alejandro Rivero, Iñigo García, et al.
   (2011) "Structural and Dynamical Patterns on Online Social Networks: The
   Spanish May 15th Movement as a Case Study", PLoS-ONE, vol. 6(8) (
   http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0023883)
   - Michael D. Conover , Emilio Ferrara, Filippo Menczer, Alessandro
   Flammini (2013) "The Digital Evolution of Occupy Wall Street", PLoS-ONE,
   vol. 8(5),
   http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0064679

There's more great work about this out there, would be happy to discuss
further.

Best,
Sander

Sander van Haperen