Eric,

I am new to this field but recently diving into to the Academic Support Department. I have
found out form other colleges that many students do not like to attend things if they could
be classified as “We need help” workshops. I am not sure exactly how you have been
advertising for these classes but it could help to change the title to something that doesn’t
make students feel some of the stereotypes behind receiving help form academic support. I
might also help students attend if instructors could mandate that students attend at least
one workshop or provide extra credit for those who attend. This would encourage students
that excel to attend and possible help students that are struggling feel less threatened. It
might also be a more comfortable setting if you could house these workshops in student
friendly environment rather than a set classroom or tutoring center area. I know that others
have suggested to partner with the residence halls which is a great idea.

Sincerely

Morgan Church
Graduate Student, Appalachian State University
Caldwell County Family Literacy Instructor