Hi, all.

Our learning/writing center is going to be moved to the library on campus ... eventually.  In a meeting with a consultant, we were asked what we would like to integrate into our space that we don't have now.  Having been in economic survival mode, I haven't really thought about what exemplars of hands-on learning within the learning center might look like.  Or, I haven't in a long, long time.

He suggested that we could consider carving spaces out for tutoring that involve hands-on learning, manipulatives, and ... who knows what else?  He raised the idea of a "maker space," which is not something I'd thought of in terms of the learning center before.  I guess that's an interesting thing to consider...

We're not being offered *funding* for these things, mind you, but he wants us to think long-term about how we might make experiential, hands on learning opportunities for our students 5, 10, 15 or even 20 years from now.  One example we discussed was having physical models of atoms on hand for students to check out.  Or a skeleton!

We used to have learning-center-specific materials years ago, but we cleared all that out because what we have access to with our two computer labs really trumps everything we had on hand.

He'd also like to see how we could bleed the library resources into our areas.  For example, one of the things we came up with was to house the library's copy of textbooks in our area.

Who has a center we should look at?  Who has ideas that we could play with?

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Amy Crouse-Powers
Center for Academic Development & Enrichment
Coordinator of Peer Tutoring Services
207 Alumni Hall
SUNY Oneonta
607-436-2819 (direct extension)