I had previously mentioned my article in energy policy for a different
reason, but indeed, some of the organisations are public relation firms
concerning the environment even if it is not the main focus of the article.

   - Parag, Y., Hamilton, J., White, V., and Hogan, B. (2013) Network
   approach for local governance of energy: the case of Oxfordshire. Energy
   Policy 62: 1064-1077.
   - http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421513005120
   - (If you don't have institutional access, please let me know)

It's not particularly sophisticated in terms of analysis, but it does show
that many of the organisations that people seek for advice are not the ones
that get the most funding. We assert that it is because of the opportunity
costs. That is, some people spend their time hobnobbing at fundraisers
while others do the grunt work of actually refitting houses and coming up
with new environmental strategies.

Take care,
BERNiE

Bernie Hogan
Research Fellow, Oxford Internet Institute
University of Oxford
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/hogan/