Hi Enzo,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer, and I guess your answer just made me rethink my question. My network is in closed form (1 component) so I just realized my question is nonsense, because if I assume no node follows more than one other node (thus unique) the number of unique followers would just be n, and the average I'm after would just be n/n which is 1. Sorry!
Joe

-----Original Message-----
From: Vincenzo Nicosia [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 12:11 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SOCNET] Estimating Unique Indegree in a Social Media Network

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 03:21:24PM +0000, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>    ***** To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org *****
>
>    Hey SNAers,
>

>    I have a social media network (Twitter) where many nodes are followed by
>    many other nodes and vice versa. I’d like to roughly estimate the average
>    number of UNIQUE followers each node has. In other words I don’t want to
>    know precisely how many unique followers each individual node has
>    (indegree), only the average (mean and/or median).
>

>    I feel like there should be a simple metric or formula that takes node
>    indegree, the number of edges, density, and assumes some alpha level of
>    duplication and spits out the average unique in degree for my network.

Maybe I am missing something in your request, but it seems like you just need to compute:

   <k_in> = <k_out> = K/N

where K is the total number of edges and N is the total number of nodes. Consider that, especially in twitter, the in-degree distribution usually has a pretty large tail, which makes the average in-degree not particularly significant for any practucal use.

HND

Enzo

--
[ Enzo Nicosia - School of Mathematical Sciences - Queen Mary UL ] [ -- v.nicosia [at] qmul.ac.uk -- katolaz [at] yahoo [dot] it -- ] [ -- web @QMUL: http://maths.qmul.ac.uk/~vnicosia/index.html  -- ] [ twitter:@KatolaZ -- jabber:[log in to unmask] - skype: katolaz ]