Good evening BEST members,

The topic we have chosen to feature in our last week as interns in the Bioenergy & Sustainability School (BESS) deals with corporate and international policies regarding sustainability. As we wrap up our internships, I think it's neat to see how the facets of sustainability we've had the pleasure to learn about in doing these posts fit into various policies around the world. In fact, a few weeks ago one of the topics we featured was about home improvements for energy efficiency, and I find it interesting to stumble upon a similar theme in this week's topic.

Specifically, a number of policies in China have recently began to take root in order to combat the country's high carbon emissions. China's 12th Five-Year Plan outlines goals to improve the country's environmental sustainability by tackling issues like utilizing more renewable energy resources. Another approach to their goal includes building more environmentally-friendly or "green" buildings that are designed to be energy efficient and therefore have lower carbon footprints. As a result, there has been a recent boom in constructing these green buildings.

"Opportunities in China’s green building boom"

August 3, 2015

Eco-Business

http://www.eco-business.com/news/opportunities-in-chinas-green-building-boom/

You can read an overview of this 12th Five-Year Plan here:

http://www.kpmg.com/cn/en/issuesandinsights/articlespublications/publicationseries/5-years-plan/pages/default.aspx

BEST,

Marie Peralta
Undergraduate Intern