Hi Kamal,
maybe one of the main reasons for the lopsided focus on positive rather
than negative ties is the difficulties in acquiring negative tie data. That
said, there are increasing efforts in mapping out this so far mostly
"hidden", but potentially much more important negative part of social
systems.
Besides the important works by Labianca et al that you mentioned, some
recent nice papers on the topic can be found here:
http://recens.tk.mta.hu/en/publications-and-research-papers
Some works of mine also focused on signed networks in an online environment
following a multiplex network approach:
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/31/13636
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378873310000316
And there are some papers from the computer science community focusing on
large-scale data sets, for example:
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1753532
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1772756

None of them, as far as I am aware, has linked this explicitly to the topic
of gossip, but that is an interesting next step. The bottleneck is always
the data though. One possibility could be to look into publicly available
data such as the Enron corpus or communication on Twitter. These have been
studied extensively in the context of sentiment analysis, but, as far as I
know, not in both the contexts of signed networks and gossip.
Best,
Michael

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Northeastern University - CCNR <http://www.barabasilab.com/>