There is also a theoretical literature linking micro-level rules to network
topology, to which I myself have also contributed:

Jackson & Wolinsky 1992 JET -- information access and topology
Powell et al. 2005 AJS -- accumulative advantage, homophily,
follow-the-trend, multiconnectivity and topology
Centola et al. 2007 JCR -- choice homophily and topology
Ryall & Sorenson 2007 Man Sc -- brokerage and topology
Buskens & Van de Rijt 2008 AJS -- structural holes and topology
Dogan et al. 2009 SN -- leverage in social exchange and topology
Van de Rijt 2011 JMS -- structural balance and topology

--
Arnout van de Rijt
Associate Professor of Sociology