Since you're interested in modeling gossip, it might make sense to take the
content of messages flowing over the edges into account.
We recently proposed a framework that integrates signals from language and
network structure to predict positive and negative edge signs:

Robert West, Hristo S. Paskov, Jure Leskovec, and Christopher Potts:
Exploiting Social Network Structure for Person-to-Person Sentiment Analysis
<http://infolab.stanford.edu/~west1/pubs/West-Paskov-Leskovec-Potts_TACL-14.pdf>
Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (TACL),
2(Oct):297–310, 2014.

--
Up for a little language game? -- http://www.unfun.me