Thanks! I'll look into the gamma centrality too.  Jordi

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Zachary P Neal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Jordi,

I've had students ask the same thing, and have been equally at a loss for an answer.  Looking for an out, in this paper (https://www.msu.edu/~zpneal/publications/neal-emporg.pdf) I proposed an alternative (I called it gamma-centrality) that yields qualitatively similar results and has a tunable parameter, but never yields negative scores.  As an added bonus, the "gamma" parameter doesn't have any restrictions on its range.

Best,
Zak

--
Zachary Neal, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology & Global Urban Studies Program

On networks - www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415881425/
On system science - www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415843324/
On public space - www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415997270/
On diversity & cohesion - www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az6Uy7p3kas

Quoting Jordi Comas <[log in to unmask]>:

So....

I mistakenly told students to "play" with beta parameter of Bonacich
centrality.

Student:"How can they be negative scores?'

Me: "I don't know.  I'll get back to you.  But, we need to keep Beta below
the inverse of largest eignevalue.  Sorry about that.  Should have told you
that."

?Inquisitive student: "I still don't understand how it can return negative
scores."?

Me: "Not sure.  I'll get back to you on that.  Another cookie?"  (Ok,
Ididn't offer cookies).

So, can someone help me out?  To my eyes, the Bonacich algoritihim sums up
the centrality score of each node by weighting each node.  How can and
additive series get a negative score?

Thanks!

Jordi
(cookies in the mail for you for good answer.  :) )

--
*Jordi Comas*

*"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin*
Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship Blog (under construction): Simple
Tools. <https://simpletools.blogs.bucknell.edu/>

Netcentric <http://netcentric.blogs.bucknell.edu/>: Resources for Teaching
Network Theory and Research

Research and Writing Blog: Nets We Weave <http://netsweweave.wordpress.com>

*Assistant ProfessorSchool of ManagementBucknell UniversityTaylor 112570
577 3161*

Jordi Comas

"There is nothing so practical as a good theory."  Kurt Lewin

Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship Blog (under construction): Simple Tools.

Netcentric: Resources for Teaching Network Theory and Research

Research and Writing Blog: Nets We Weave

Assistant Professor
School of Management
Bucknell University
Taylor 112