Hi Kamal,

You could also look at Political Independence Index. it takes a dependence
perspective on power and negative / positive ties.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378873313000439

I have released an R package on Github for the analysis:
https://github.com/jfaganUK/pii
It uses the igraph packge where ties are assigned a "valence" of -1 or 1.

Let me know if you have any trouble with it.

-Jesse