Glenna --

Most of ours are paid minimum wage by the office of Disabilities Services.
Faculty typically recommend them to us. Here in NY, some students have
money through Access-VR, which pays up to $15 for note taking:

http://www.acces.nysed.gov/vr

Our campus uses the Livescribe pen and notebook technology:

http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

I can't speak highly enough about Livescribe. Students who use it to take
notes for someone else very often continue to use it for themselves.

Hope that helps --

Douglas Eich
Director, SUNY Polytechnic Learning Center
PH:315.792.7316