Hi Julie,

We are in our second year of piloting an embedded tutoring program.

How we assign Embedded Tutoring to Courses
The only course we currently provide embedded tutoring for is Practical Statistics. We chose to offer tutoring for this course because it is historically very challenging for students, especially for the particular at-risk populations who take it instead of calculus to fulfill their math requirement thinking it will be easier. I would love to expand the program to other "gateway" courses that historically exhibit high D/F/W rates (Psychology 101, Calc 1, etc.).

What Embedded Tutors Do
We're a small campus, so each professor is assigned one Embedded Learning Consultant who provides two 1-hour review sessions each week. Each professor has a max of about 20 students, so this isn't as large a workload on our embedded staff as, say, a section of hundreds of students. Our first semester (FL 14), we had one professor participate in the initial pilot. It went well, so we expanded to two faculty in the Spring 15 semester. This fall, all three faculty who teach Statistics have been assigned their own ELC.

The embedded tutoring sessions, like SI, focus on "learning how to learn" and not just course-specific content. The sessions are also open to any students in the course to attend. Students with a C or lower are required to attend (unlike the SI model) until their grades improve. The "embedded" features include: the professor adds the ELC to their Moodle page as an assistant so that they are able to access syllabi, assignments, and practice sets; the faculty member shares tips and answer keys with the ELC each week; the ELC and faculty member frequently check in (at least weekly via email, also often in person) to share information about what major themes or concepts students are grasping or struggling with.

Measuring Efficacy
We currently track mid-term and final grades and compare session attendees to those who do not attend. We also compare the overall pass rate of courses with embedded tutoring to the historical pass/fail rates for the same courses without embedded tutoring. At the end of the semester, we also provide a survey to the students to solicit qualitative feedback about the tutors and the sessions they held. We've been lucky so far to have a 100% response rate.

Anecdotally, the faculty find that students who participate in the sessions are better prepared, more engaged during class, and perform better on exams and assignments. I'm still waiting on some data, and will soon be running some statistical analyses of my own to see whether there are any statistically significant differences between students who attend vs. those who do not.

The only empirical data I can really share at this moment is that, at mid-terms two years ago, before we started this program, there were over 20 D/D-/F grades in the course. At mid-terms this year, with the same enrollment, we only have 5 D/D- grades and 2 F grades. We can't claim that difference is all because of the embedded tutoring, but we have been getting a lot of positive response from students and faculty alike.

I'd be very interested to learn how others approach this, and how you get faculty excited about participating.

All the best,

Keira M. Ha mbrick, M.A.
Academic Support Coordinator
Academic Resource Center