Hi Bridget,

Here's how we operate at Marietta College (a small, private liberal arts college):

1. Enrollment: ~1200
2. Type: Private, 4-year
3. We do not employ professional tutors--but we do have one retired faculty member serving on an adjunct basis as a writing consultant for international students
4. We employ peer tutors (10 in the writing center, and 25-30 for subject-specific tutoring), all are undergraduates.
5. Our Writing Center is physically separate from the Tutoring & Learning Center, but both are under the administrative umbrella of the Academic Resource Center, which is in a third location. My job on campus is to oversee all aspects of both tutoring locations; my office is in the tutoring center and not in the main department. Writing accounts for over half of the campus' tutoring.
6. The Academic Resource Center provides workshops, a college success course, individualized academic assistance in the form of "academic coaching." We host study tables for athletic and Greek organizations, we administer Accessibility Services/504 (Disability Services), and students on academic probation are required to have weekly meetings with us. As mentioned above, the ARC also administers the Writing Center and the Tutoring & Learning Center. We're also piloting an Embedded Tutoring program, which is similar to SI but required.
7. Tutors hold regular "office hours" every week so that they are available for drop-in visitors, but we use WCOnline for all tutoring services so that students can make appointments within those regularly scheduled blocks of time. Short answer: Drop-in and by appointment.
8. Academic Affairs.

Cheers,

Keira M. Hambrick, M.A.
Academic Support Coordinator