From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bridget M. Ponte
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Quick poll about department structure

Good morning everyone-

I am one of many who are putting together a strategic assessment report and am addressing a section on department structure. Since you are the very best source of this kind of information, could you take two minutes to answer the following:

What is your total enrollment (just an estimate)? 36,000 (Main campus only)

Public, private, 4- or 2-year? Public, 4 year, Research I

Do you employ professional tutors? For writing or content or both? How many? Which areas (e.g., statistics) We do not employ professional tutors.

Do you employ peer tutors? Same as above--are they grads or undergrads? We employ both undergrads and grad students. Breakdown is below:
Writing Center tutors: 8 undergrads, 6 grad students
Math & Science Support Center tutors: 17 undergrads, 9 grad students
Peer Tutoring tutors: 43 undergrads

Do you have a separate writing center at your institution? Yes and No. The Writing Center is housed in a separate building but is part of the Learning Assistance Center.
If not, how much of your business is writing? Writing Center visits account for about 6%

What other instructional initiatives does your department facilitate or manage: classroom workshops, a coaching/mentoring program, SI, etc.?
We have a robust SI program, Academic Coaching, Supplemental Recitation Sections (SRS) for calculus courses, study skills workshop series, online learning resources library

How are your tutoring sessions made: appointment, drop-in, etc.? This varies across programs.
Peer Tutoring (content tutors): Sessions are appointment-based, one-on-one. They may be 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes based on student need and tutor availability. We hold group tutoring Mon/Wed in the library for certain subjects and study tables on Tuesday evenings that are drop-in.
Writing Center: Sessions are appointment-based, one-on-one, for one hour. We also hold drop in hours 10am-4pm daily which maxes at 30 minutes per student.
Math & Science Support Center: hold structured study tables (drop-in) throughout the week for select courses in Math, Stats, Chemistry, Physics, and Business Analytics. Math Department GTAs hold their office hours in the space (1-3 hrs per week).

Are you located in Student Affairs or Academic Affairs? Student Affairs

Thanks so much and good luck to everyone working on these reports!

Bridget Ponte
Director, Center for Academic Achievement Carlow University Pittsburgh, PA