From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Malewicki, Debbie
Sent: Thursday, October 29, 2015 3:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Tutors with Low GPA

Our departmental GPA threshold is 3.4.  When a student drops below it, they continue with us on a probationary basis (official letter we each sign off on, with a copy given to each party, after discussing the situation) for one semester.  If there are extenuating circumstances, and there has been a significant increase during that probationary term but they are not yet over the threshold, we may, on a rare occasion, give them a second probationary term.

Students need to earn an A- or higher with us in the courses they're supporting, with a couple exceptions in the high B range for Organic Chemistry, for example, so my greater concern is usually what grades they are earning in their supporting subject areas.  If a student's grades for their supported subjects are the main area where they are struggling, then it becomes a long-term issue insofar as being unable to support those classes.  Typically we've found that students whose GPAs drop see the lower grades outside of their major(s), though.

In our initial conversation, though, I always give the student the option of resigning to work on his/her grades if they prefer, emphasizing that we want them to stay but respect their need to focus on their academics first.  Almost all students choose to continue with us, but the ones who do not have been grateful for the chance to step back and focus on their classes.

Sincerely,

Debbie Malewicki, MA
Director, Center for Learning Resources
Director, Peer Tutoring Program
Safe Zone Ally
116 Marvin K. Peterson Library
University of New Haven -- "A Leader in Experiential Education"
300 Boston Post Road
West Haven, CT  06516
Phone:  (203) 932-7415
Fax:  (203) 931-6013
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"Tutoring to Help You Blossom Into a Better Student”

Thought of the day:  “A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”  By John Burroughs