1. Does your institution have a fee for service or per credit hour fee? If
so, how much is that fee and how does it operate?
2. If you have instituted a fee has it impacted the number of students you
served, student perception of services, or another outcomes?
3. Are there any other ways that you fund your services/Center?

We do have an Academic Support Fee ($25/semester) that covers the
Tutoring, Writing and Math Centers. The ASUN, the undergraduate governing
body, proposed the fee during the economic downturn and students approved
it. If the fee was not passed, the Tutoring Center would have ceased to
operate. The year before that, both the Writing and Math Centers were able
to get a fee attached to courses to continue to operate. Since the
Tutoring Center was part of Student Services, we could not attach a fee to
courses and had to charge for appointments and walk-in labs. We were able
to stay afloat for one year, but that was not sustainable. Since the
Academic Support Fee was passed, all of the centers have seen an increase
of student usečand the number of students at the university has increased
since then as well. Because appointment sessions are more expensive to
run, the Tutoring Center now gives students two free appointments per
semester and then they must pay $10 for any additional appointments. Our
walk-in labs, groups and Supplemental Instruction are all free to
university students.

Best,
Marsha

Dr. Marsha Urban
Director, Tutoring Center, MS 078
101N Thompson Building
University of Nevada, Reno
Reno, NV 89557
(775)784-6801 (office)
(775)682-5983 (voicemail)
(775)784-4277 (fax)

On 10/6/15, 7:02 AM, "Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals on
behalf of Ted E. Ingham" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of