Good Morning,

We fund our Mathematics and Statistics learning centers through a one-time course fee of $41.50 attached to each class that is serviced by our centers. This fee is on the students line item of their bursar account fee structure. If they take more than one course serviced by us, then they are charged the fee multiple times. We also offer departmental lump sum fees, if a department (like SPEA for example) would like our tutoring and mentoring services for a mathematics or statistics related course that they offer through their department, but do not want students to individually pay... we work out an MOU with that department and charge them a lump sum fee to cover the cost of servicing their courses. From this funding model we are able to host 60+ hours a week of onsite open-access tutoring and mentoring and also able to offer 45+hours of online tutoring for over 30 different mathematical and statistics related courses. Equally important, we are able to pay a high wage to 110 student tutors, mentors, and graduate students that is on campus, academic centered, and fosters their own growth both professionally and academically.

The key to building the argument to fund the centers this way is multi-faceted, but the following seems to work well as a starting place. First, if students want extra help they will look for tutoring. If the campus does not offer them services (which it should) then they will normally pay $20-40/hr for private tutoring. This person is not normally vetted by anyone, or trained by anyone in both content or pedagogy. For about the same amount as one high-end private tutoring session our students gain access to 60+ hours a week for 16 weeks of open access support. This includes online resources, mentoring, links to other campus services, and a safe place to work on, accelerate, or struggle with the content. Plus, the tutors are vetted by the university (myself), trained in both content and pedagogy, and are held accountable for their actions and interactions with peer student clients.

Here are some straight numbers on the above argument:

We had 77613.6 total accumulated hours of usage of the two learning centers last academic year. If this was done through private tutoring, even on the low end, it would have cost students:

77613.6*20/hr = $1,552,272

That is more than double what we take in from student fees. They are getting a more flexible service, more robust and reliable service for less than half of the private tutoring rate cost. Also, the high cost of private tutoring would, in my opinion, keep some students from even searching for help. Which, in itself is another benefit of our model. Last year we had 73,000 student visits to our two mathematical learning centers. 57% of the student population came at least 1 time seeking support. Our biggest complaint is not cost, our biggest complaint from students is that we do not have enough space or tutors to accommodate the demand (which is ever increasing) because of our culture that learning centers are not where you go when you are struggling, but where you go to supplement your lecture learning.

Happy to share more, or help in any way should that be warranted.

Good luck, take care,

Kevin Berkopes, Ph.D.
Executive Director
Mathematics Assistance Center [MAC]
Statistics Assistance Center [MAC Stat]

Mathematical Sciences-University College
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
815 W. Michigan Street, UC B006J
Indianapolis, IN 46202
(317) 274-3286
mac.iupui.edu