From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Norton, Janet L
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 11:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How do we know if tutoring is 'working'

Jennifer,

I'll put in a plug for two resources that could be helpful.  One of them begins in less than an hour, a two-part webinar that I will be presenting for Innovative Educators about exactly this topic: How to Assess and Evaluate Tutoring Programs.  The other is a publication that Dr. Karen Agee and I wrote as a CRLA white paper: Assessment of Learning Assistance Programs.  You can get to the paper on www.crla.net by clicking on Publications.  The white paper will provide you with most of the 'industry standards' that are currently in place.

There are many ways to address the question your administration has asked, including qualitative, quantitative, and criterion-referenced assessments.  Survey research can be a powerful tool as part of an overall assessment/evaluation process for learning assistance, but it often is not accepted as fully credible.  As a starting point, you might also look at the research support for SI (Supplemental Instruction), which earned repeated federal support by comparing the grades of students who attended SI group learning assistance to the grades of students who did not attend sessions.  Perhaps your institution would also question that model of 'proof' in which case there are ways to add more data to the analysis to improve its acceptability for many audiences.

Good luck in your efforts -- they are worthwhile for many many reasons (obviously I believe strongly in assessment and evaluation!).

Jan Norton