Hello Hunter,

Our developmental math program has moved away from placement testing based
on analysis of 5 years of our own student placement and course outcomes
data. We found that a combination of ACT math (weighted 80%) and HS GPA
(weighted 20%) showed stronger correlations between placement and course
grades than our placement test (Accuplacer), or straight ACT, or other
variations the statistician explored. (The data showed Accuplacer worked
fine for placement in college level math classes.)
http://www.weber.edu/wsuimages/academicaffairs/Assessmentandplacement/Place
ment%20Version%207%20(8-19-15).pdf

Students who do not have ACT/GPA take a non-adaptive test we created in
MyMathLab.
http://www.weber.edu/TestingCenter/math-mastery.html

Since over 60% of our student population is non-trad, we figure those more
mature students will wonder if they can rely on old data. The analysis
showed the algorithm held up for the non-trads, too. But we also provide
students will self-assessments they can use to check their knowledge.
http://www.weber.edu/developmentalmath/SelfAssessments.html

We have been using this method for just over a year and anecdotally it
seems ok. We haven't done additional analysis. One concern is that we
think a lot of students self-select into pre-algebra (which covers basic
math, too) who don't need to be there. That's our current project to
address.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Director, Developmental Mathematics
Weber State University