Thank you, Norm, for giving me the bigger picture.

From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Norman Stahl <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2015 4:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Reminder Email

The key is now once again to have an understanding of the use of multiple assessments. At one time this was an accepted construct in the profession. Then at some point schools got sucked into the cult of Accuplacer and Compass if only for ease of delivery, pressure from administrators who had never successfully passed a tests and measurements course, and the fiscal enrichment of ETS and ACT (among others). The No Child Left Standing culture of the Bush years did not help much either (not that the Obama DoEd has been much better).

As for the question about course grades across high school...it's kind of like what your retirement guy/gal tells you about your future (other than saying you will be working until you are 86 years old)...it's the power of compounding. High school provides a large number of grades for each kid. A single grade is a problem for prediction...40 plus grades (yes including P.E.) do provide a prediction factor that has always been around .50 (forgive that I do not have the actual figure in front of me at 3:00 am)....the addition of the SAT/ACT brought it up to about .56 or so.  Schools saw value in the combined measures plus as sundry other "measures" often found on the retention regression scales.

At the time the modern Developmental Education field came into being we used primarily locally designed instrumentation (warts and all) perhaps with a standardized measure (Nelson Denny in reading). We scored the tests in our own shops and had an idea where each student stood. The original contextualized classes from the 1920s actually had the students directly involved with the diagnosis and the development of the remediation plan. We did not pass the task off to a testing office with its "The Wall" (Pink Floyd, 1982 ... great high impact pedagogical research) type philosophy.

The bottom line...go back to practices that we once did well...use multiple measures that predict success and provide diagnostic data associated with student success at your institution. To heck with the school 20 miles down the road. You do not need need a consultant earning $250,000 a year from Gates or Lumina (Gates by any other name) to tell you what your field has known for nearly 100 years. As Tony Manzo said years ago (I paraphrase), "The College Reading and Study Skills field is a great repository knowledge." I'd add that our other fields are also such.

Please understand...there is not a reform out there that is not at least 35 years old...we are not in an era of reform...we are in the longest scaling up process known to PK-20 pedagogy. The directions the field are undertaking are for the most part excellent. The question must be "When individuals raised questions about testing/assessment protocols, lack of contextualization, lack of research support support for skill, drill, kill, ladder type schemes, etc. or offered viable theory/research driven reforms (BRBW, fused courses, etc.) since at least the 1970s, why did not the field listen and act?" "Why did we wait for an era where we were the lowest hanging branch in the attack on the mighty oak that once was American higher education." If we do not answer these questions now and act accordingly, we deserve to be the low hanging branch ripe for plucking.

For what it is worth.

Norman Stahl