In my previous position in tutoring we did a conference. We also invited
other tutoring programs across campus with an invitation to get their CRLA
certification. The conference provided about 6 hours toward level 1 and
those outside of our center who wanted to continue were invited to follow
up with our regular training through the semester. We had a general
session in the morning that included a keynote speaker who was engaging
and also addressed a training topic. We had lunch and breakouts in the
afternoon. There were tracks for 1st year, 2nd year, math, writing, etc.
More experienced tutors taught the breakouts and could choose which
sessions to attend. New tutors were instructed as to which sessions to
attend. We included our clerical staff, too, providing them some sessions
specific to their job, but also exposing them to the basics of tutoring so
they were well informed about how our program worked.

Kathryn Van Wagoner
Director, Developmental Mathematics
Weber State University