From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Golson, Martin
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 9:28 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Pay SI leaders via stipends or hourly wage?

Hi Kitty,

We pay our SLA Leaders (almost the same thing as SI, except attendance is mandatory) an hourly wage. There were several factors that led to this decision.

* We run a certification program for our SLA Leaders. Their hourly wage is based on their certification level.
* The hourly wage allows greater flexibility in assigning hours worked per week. (examples: BIOL only wants the SLA Leader to run 1 workshop per week per section supported, other departments want 2. An SLA Leader supporting two courses taught by two different professors attends both sets of lectures, while an SLA Leader supporting two sections taught by the same professor only attends one set of lectures.)
* By paying on an hourly basis, we have the ability to retain funds should an SLA Leader miss a lecture or fail to turn in a lesson plan (planning time). We can also pay for the additional time worked for the SLA Leaders who substitute for an SLA Leader who is ill.

I hope this helps.

Martin Golson
Director, Academic Support
Certified Learning Center Professional - Level 4 Austin Peay State University

(931) 221-6553