From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Deidre Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 10:34 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Funding for SI

Our learning center is offering SI for the first time.  We have six SI leaders, and each works between 8 and 10 hours a week.  Currently their pay is coming from our “temp” budget, funded by undergraduate student fees, that is used to hire pay-by-the-hour support in high demand subjects that exceed our allotment of graduate assistantships, donated English and math graduate assistants, university-funded scholarship positions, and work study positions.  The new SI program has been extremely well-attended and well-received by students and participating faculty members.  Several instructors in other subject areas are interested in adding SI for their spring courses.

Unfortunately, the cost of SI this semester uses almost 1/3 of our limited temp budget,  and that cost would increase to over  ½ of our temp budget in the spring if we expand to other courses.  If we continue to fund SI from this account and expand as requested, next semester we will be forced to significantly reduce temp tutoring staff in other high demand subject areas
like writing, where we normally provide the most support.

I am curious how other centers are funding SI, and/or how they have justified the need for additional university funds to support their programs.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Deidre

Deidre Johnson, MA
Learning Services Coordinator