Susan,

I have received several emails on this. I did not realize it would be such a popular topic. Let me try to give a quick overview (okay, I lied. It  looks my response is a little wordy.). I am also including the slides I use to train our personnel who are seeking level 3 certification.

* First you have to determine the topics that need to be addressed based on all of the factors listed on the slide. Since our program is CRLA Level 3 certified, we list the topics by certification level and duration. We also know what resources (instructor and student) are required for each topic.
* Based on the number of people seeking certification at each level, determine how much space you need for each topic covered.
* I recommend reserving at least one large room (100+ seating capacity) for opening comments and other large sessions. If you are using multiple buildings, plan for what you will do in the event of inclement weather. Make sure you plan for the technology and other requirements for each room.
* Armed with location and topics, start coordinating which topics will be covered, at what time, in which location. Be sure to allow time for moving from one session to another.
* Assign instructors for each session. While you may use professional staff, professors, and veteran tutors to teach some topics, remember that the training program is the primary responsibility of the professional staff from the Learning Center. If you or your staff are not teaching a session, you should consider observing it.
* We always start with a keynote speaker, typically the Provost, University President, or some other senior administrator who can give a holistic view of how important the work done by the tutors is to the overall success of our students.
* Coordinate feeding the tutors. We have found that by using either pizza or subway sandwiches, along with snacks and drinks, we can run multiple serving lines and feed everyone within 30 minutes. Believe it or not, by the end of that time, everyone is finished and ready to get back to work. If we allow longer, our people complain.
* Make sure you have a mechanism in place so that everyone knows where they are supposed to be, and that you are able to rack the training actually attended by each person. I have attached one of the forms we use for directing people where they should go. All of my supervisors have stamps and can stamp the form after each session. We collect the forms at the end of the day and maintain them for our training records. We also record the tutors time tutoring on this form so that once everything required for certification is completed, I can sign the form and print their certificate.
* I highly recommend you have feedback forms for the overall training event and each session so that you can make data-driven decisions for improvement.

I have my Tutor Coordinator (a GA) put the actual schedule together each semester. I get to mentor the GA as they do so. Fortunately, all of my Subject Area Supervisors (undergraduate students) have completed level 3 training and readily assist in developing and implementing the planned training. My goal is that any of our graduating, level-3 certified tutors should be a welcome addition to any learning center in the U.S. I have been fortunate enough to see come become Coordinators or Directors.

If I can provide any more assistance, please contact me offline.

Martin Golson
Director, Academic Support
Certified Learning Center Professional – Level 4
Austin Peay State University

(931) 221-6553