Dear Teresa,

 I hope you will consider continuing your CRLA certifications. The  International Tutor Training Program Certification group (ITTPC) has  over 25 years of experience certifying tutor training programs at two and four year, public and private, large and small colleges. Currently there are over 1,000 certified programs. The ITTPC has earned endorsements from leading organizations in our field, including ACTLA - Association of Colleges for Tutoring and Learning Assistance; ATP - The Association for the Tutoring Profession; NADE - National Association of Developmental Education; NCDE - National Center for Developmental Education and NCLCA - National College Learning Center Association.

 The ITTPC is comprised of Learning Center and tutoring professionals from across North America who volunteer their time and efforts to review certification applications, deliver workshops, write and publish their research and develop policies and procedures that are responsive to our members needs.

 The issue you raise about how to deliver tutor training in light of limited human and material resources and the temptation to create a  completely online training program, is one faced by many of our members. We at the ITTPC feel strongly that the foundation of successful tutoring hinges on effective interpersonal communication between a trained tutor and her/his tutees. This can be accomplished through a variety of delivery modes.

 The nature of training and higher education itself has changed dramatically with more and more programs, courses and degrees offered online. The ITTPC is responsive to these changes. While in the past we did require tutor training to be delivered "face-to-face", that has not been the case for the past few years. Currently we require that a percentage of training at each level of certification be delivered as Tutor-trainer supervised,  Interactive,  Live, and  Real-time. This can take the form of the "traditional" face-to-face training, but it can also be accomplished through online meetings and discussions, skyping, etc.  The important point is that a certain percentage of the training is to be delivered live and in real-time whether in person or remotely. The remainder of training can be delivered either face -to-face, online or through independent tutor work.

 As far as the ITTPC application freeze, I am reminded of the old adage that "good things come to those who wait". We are in the final stages of testing the new application and I can say with confidence that it will be faster and easier to complete. The technology is taking longer than we anticipated, but that is often the case with technology and so I ask you and our fellow "listers" to be patient, we are almost there.

 If you have any questions, or if I can provide any additional information, please feel free contact me on or off list at any time.

 Best,
 Roberta

   Roberta Schotka
 Director of Programs
 Pforzheimer Learning & Teaching Center
 Wellesley College
 Wellesley, MA
 CRLA-ITTPC Coordinator

 From: "Teresa Hoercher" <[log in to unmask]> Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 3:26 PM To: [log in to unmask] Subject: Online Tutor Training Certification
Hello All!  I have been coordinating the tutor training program at Cayuga Community College for over 20 years. We have a strong program with good tutors that work with a wide and diverse range of students. Presently we have the three levels of CRLA certification. I firmly believe in tutor training and yet I struggle to coordinate a time to deliver the training to the tutors. I know that I could create a quality on-line tutor training program. However, CRLA has restrictions on training delivery. Does anyone know of a certification tutor training that can be delivered in an online format that is recognized as professional certification. My level I certification needs to be recertified but with the CRLA freeze we are on hold. Perhaps now is the time to look into something different. I welcome your thoughts!  Teresa Hoercher Coordinator of Tutorial Services Tutor Club Advisor Center for Academic Success CAYUGA COMMUNITY COLLEGE [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 315-255-1743, x-2289   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To access the LRNASST-L archives or User Guide, or to change your subscription options (including subscribe/unsubscribe), point your web browser to http://www.lists.ufl.edu/archives/lrnasst-l.html  To contact the LRNASST-L owner, email [log in to unmask]