From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eric Drown
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2015 8:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Reading Strategies for College Students with ADHD

I'm writing for help coaching a student with pretty strong ADHD symptoms through some reading issues.

Some of the problems my student experiences arise from being easily distracted - stray trains of thought interfere with his ability to understand and read moderately complex passages.  But some seem to come from having few strategies to draw on to turn the cues on the page into sense-making strings of meaning.

I'm not immersed in reading strategies specific for ADHD students.  But I'm working on the assumption that active reading strategies will help to some degree.  I'm working with the student on chunking the text, identifying the purpose of each chunk, and using cues (textual, extratextual, and ancillary) to distinguish between more and less significant parts of the text for his own purposes.  We're working on recognizing claims and evidence, concepts and examples, visual notetaking, concept mapping, and so on.  I'm aware of SQ3R.

I'm wondering if experts on the list could point me towards any other best-practices for working on reading specifically for college-age ADHD students, or scholarship in the field to consult.

Also, I'm a bit of a newbie to scholarship on ADHD learning, so I'm probably overlooking something more experienced folks would spot right away.  If so, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Eric Drown, Ph. D.
Developmental Writing Supervisor