Good Afternoon

Have a look at some research done by Hecker, Burns Elkind, Elkind and Katz 2002. They report on the effects of tts - not for decoding support but for decreased number of distractions and  time spent reading. When I present this research to students and model a typical paragraph reading with them being off task and then read the paragraph out loud they are frequently intrigued and want to try it. Some find the fact that they are wearing headphones cuts down on auditory distractions.

Then have a look at this article:

chrome-extension://mloajfnmjckfjbeeofcdaecbelnblden/http://www.indiana.edu/~pcl/rgoldsto/courses/dunloskyimprovinglearning.pdf

I spend time explaining the idea of "distributed practice" to my students with ADHD based on the top two identified methods of prep for exams. Similar to SQ3R if students are approaching their reading from the perspective of answering a question they are more focused. I help them see that a long text reading can be broken into manageable parts if they have a review question in mind, read for the answer, prepare a point form response and convert to a study tool with visuals.

Sherri
[Seneca Logo]
Sherri Parkins, M.A.
Learning Strategist
Counselling and Accessibility Services
Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology
416 491 5050 ext. 26137

This electronic mail (e-mail), including any attachments, is intended only for the recipient(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure. No waiver of privilege, confidentiality or any other protection is intended by virtue of its communication by the internet. Any unauthorized use, dissemination or copying is strictly prohibited. If you have received the e-mail in error, or are not named as a recipient, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of it.