Allow me to add a late response to this perennial question.

I’m not sure who originally this important questions, but I struggled with this issue along with others for the following reasons. As Nic mentioned, often times tutoring programs are held to a much higher standard for “proving their value” than other academic program. But that’s the current state of things for now.

Another issue that I’ve faced is moving targets, which occur when institutions shift their priorities. When this happens (as it often does), we must recognize it and shift our data, or else we may produce data that is deemed irrelevant for the current institutional focus. I’ve tried to ensure sure that our program provided relevant data throughout my tenure. We used to be responsive, but we now play a leading role within the institution.

Below is a link to a current resume page that I’m developing. It is still a work in progress. Skip the first part of the page, but as you scroll down you will see some ways that I’ve adjusted to shifting institutional priorities. For example, at one time retention was a primary focus. At another time certain people were questioning whether tutoring was improving students’ grades. When we shared evidence that tutoring was improving grades, we had to shift to measuring tutoring’s impact on learning. Then student-athlete’s success became a focus. You get the point. While none of this “proves” anything, but it does provide some examples of effectivness.
http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/leonardgeddes/
I hope it helps generate some ideas.

Leonard Geddes Business Owner, The LearnWell Projects
Tel: 1-866-337-3030 <tel:>
[log in to unmask] |www.thelearnwellprojects.com <http://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/>

 <https://twitter.com/@learnwelledu> <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/leonard-geddes/62/aa4/424/> <https://www.facebook.com/thelearnwellprojects?ref=hl&bookmark_t=page>