Are you looking at average correlation of the two centralities per group?

So, like one department averages .98 between in and out-degree, but another has a lower average?

I agree with what I think Valdis is inferring, the kind of email exchanges (in terms of number) and of sender and receiver (are they in a formal reporting relationship) may have very strong effects on the overall pattern.

Is there a way to isolate email exchanges that may be more centrally about the substantive themes of a community of practice?  in other words, a theoretically-motivated subset of email exchanges may offer more insight into the kinds of voluntary interactions that would delineate a CoP.

Jordi