From: Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Claire Sandler
Sent: Wednesday, November 25, 2015 9:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: STEM Center Professional Development

What Michelle is referring to is a conference that we at the Science Learning Center (SLC) at the University of Michigan ran annually for three years in 2006-08 called "Enriching the Academic Experience for College Science Students."  Over those three years, we convened to hear great featured speakers (Shirley Malcom, Saundra McGuire and Freeman Hrabowski) and to participate in a range of presentations from those working with STEM recruitment, retention, leadership, outreach, service learning, research experiences, peer mentorship, tutoring, SI, advising, and so on. We were invigorated and inspired and learned so much -- and the feedback we received indicated that others felt similarly. However, since we are not under the auspices of any national organization, our own "infrastructure"
was quite stretched after running this for three years. Therefore, we looked into whether another institution might be interested in picking up the conference for at least a couple of years and believed we had made that arrangement. But, alas, that plan fell through and as a result this conference has not been offered since 2008.

Over the years, we have received many inquiries about whether we plan to offer such a conference again. If any other institution/organization might be interested in picking up the ball and running with it, we would be happy to talk with them, share materials, and help them get things started.

One other thing I've also wondered about, is whether a sub-group might be formed for those of us associated with STEM Centers under the umbrella of a national organization like NCLCA or CRLA, etc. That might help us be better organized in our professional development efforts and foster better collaboration around STEM-related learning center topics.

-Claire

    Claire Sandler, Director
    930 North University Avenue
    Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1055