On Wednesday we were quite surprised by the appearance of a Greater
Shearwater close-inshore west of Cedar Key. We had just arrived at a low
shell rake occupied by a flock of Am. Oystercatchers when the lone bird
passed close-by flying very low to the water. Unfortunately, the camera was
stored and not readily accessible to document the rare sighting. When last
observed, it was coursing low over the water and moving swiftly south. No
other pelagic species were observed there during three days of observations.

Doris and Pat Leary

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Florida