I led a field trip for Pelican Island Audubon Society this morning.  We spent some time south of the inlet, first checking the lagoon about a mile south of the inlet where we saw 11 Black scoters feeding before flying off to the north.  More Black scoters as well as Green-winged teal and Red-breasted mergansers were seen across the road from the beach.  On the north side of the inlet, we found many gulls in the tidal pond, but no Franklin's.  Offshore, from the jetty, we saw three groups of Pomarine jaegers, totaling about 35.  Most were adults including two dark morphs.  A single Bonaparte's gull was seen with some Laughing gulls and many Common terns on the beach.  Nice day, the rain held off, and we got to see some good birds.

David Simpson
Fellsmere, FL