Kimberly,

Similarly to what Marcie and Keira have written, students at our
institution must be registered with our DSS program to receive alternate
textbook formats such as audio books from our department. To make a formal
request, students complete our google survey so that it collects the
details we need to request the alternative format (PDF, DOC., etc) from Access
Text Network <http://www.accesstext.org/>. We use Kurzweil 1000 to convert
text to speech. Kurzweil is not perfect but it is reasonably efficient when
converting to the MP3 format.

Additionally, here is our growing list of options for external resources of
text-to-speech products that we recommend to students:

   1. Learning Ally <http://learningally.org> - individual membership
   2. Optelec ClearReader+
   <https://us.optelec.com/products/crbaus-optelec-clearreader.html#overview>
   3. Kurzweil 3000 - firefly
   4. Dolphin
   5. Audible.com
   6. Operating system readers for PC and Mac.
   7. Readers (some students connect with peers who study outloud)
   8. etc

I hope this helps and I welcome any other ideas for resources.

Sincerely,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM, Keira M. Hambrick <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> We provide Kurzweil and show students how to listen to PDF files. Kurzweil
> conversion is offered only to those with documented disabilities, but we're
> happy to teach anyone how to use the reading function in Adobe for the PDFs.
>
> All the best,
>
> Keira M. Hambrick, M.A.
> Academic Support Coordinator
> Academic Resource Center