Special thanks to those who contributed to the "debunking myths about tutoring" conversation.  Please find the compiled list below.

Happy holidays,
Michelle Wolf
Director, Academic Success Center
Winthrop University

Faculty Myths about Tutoring

Tutors coddle students.

My students don't need access to a tutor; I have more than enough office hours for them to get all the help they need from me!

Tutoring prevents students from "grappling" with the material.

The fact that more students are seeking tutoring is evidence that the institution is bringing in less capable students.

Or conversely, now that we are admitting stronger students, we don't need as much tutoring anymore.

Students have tutors do their homework for them.

Only the absolute top (4.0) students should be tutors.

The tutors don't understand the material and are always giving students incorrect information.

Only students who have been through my class will be able to tutor my students.

Students go to tutoring instead of going to class.

Students ask their tutors questions and don't ask questions in class.

Only struggling students should get a tutor.

Tutoring is only for developmental students. Better students know how to learn the material.

We offer tutoring on campus?

My students' papers still have grammar errors. What gives, writing center tutors?