Dear Olaf,

Skye’s last email triggered my interest and I found some spare time to write a small tutorial to visualize single- and multi-layer networks in 3D, for later exporting it into a standalone HTML page + webGL.
As a practical example, I used the well-known "Florentine families" dataset built by Padgett in 1994. This is a very nice example because it is small and provides a multiplex network that can be visualized in different ways. In my post

https://muxviz.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/standalone-3d-visualization-of-networks-with-muxviz/

I cover the 3D visualization of: the aggregate network, the multiplex network using layers and the multiplex network using an edge-colored non-layered rendering.
As you can see from the tutorial, you just need to prepare your input data using the correct format: the analysis and the visualization do not require programming skills.

I wish this might be of help for your purposes.

Best,
Manlio

*****  To join INSNA, visit http://www.insna.org  *****

I just put up a blog post with examples of using R packages to render 3D views of networks on web pages as embedded 3D models or render them as movies as Olaf requested:

http://skyeome.net/wordpress/?p=849

The sna package has had 3d capability for a long time, but it was hard to share the models it produced.  Now the combination of rmarkdown and rglwidgets makes it really easy!  (assuming you are already using R that is :-)

best,
-skye