On Dec 17th, I found a 1st cycle Herring Gull with a tail band at Ponce de Leon Inlet, Florida. The bird had highly contrasting scapulars and coverts that struck my eye, but what seemed most odd was that the bird had very sparsely marked undertail coverts and the uppertail coverts were not very well marked either. The tertials had marked scalloped edging and the inner primaries also did not have dark tips on either the inner or the outer web. Even though there are tail-banded American Herring Gulls that I find here on occasion (often called "northern" smithsonianus), I think that this one may be a European Herring Gull. The undertail and uppertail coverts seem beyond American Herring Gull. Unfortunately, a walker spooked the birds before I could get many photos. I have had a few responses from folks in Europe that this could be a European Herring Gull.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL